Basic "How Do I" of Haven&Hearth.

The Place Where Bad Threads Go To Die.

Basic "How Do I" of Haven&Hearth.

Postby ViciousGamer04 » Fri May 28, 2010 12:23 am

Edit: Keep in mind that this is a WORK in progress thread. it is in no means finished and i'm re-posting this as i got no "real" explanation as to why it was moved to the "spam" folder in the first place. Perhaps because I didn't have time to dedicate hours and hours into making a very comprehensive guide all at once and that I like criticism. Who knows. Links might be broken & other various formating/bold issues. I'll have to fix them then in a bit. I'll also remove supposed 'biased" information as I was suggested in the original thread.

This is just a basic "How do I" guide that covers a lot of questions I keep seeing on H&H's forums. Although some are valid questions.. a lot of them are the same questions over and over again. For the VERY VERY basics of the game you can find them provided here: http://www.havenandhearth.com/portal/howto

As well as here, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3196

Another reference point to note although its' quite a bit outdated is Haven and Hearth's wikia. The link of which can be found here,
http://havenandhearth.wikia.com/wiki/Ha ... earth_Wiki

Basic "How do I"'s and things that are good to know as a beginner of H&H
Should I get the skill "Swimming"? No! Swimming is broken and/or unreasonably insane and chances are you will end up killing your character in the water if you do get it.

What is a Macroer?
They use bots that automatically do things for them while they aren't even at the computer.

What is a griever/griefer? They're basically similar to macroers but instead of using a bot to exploit the game, they use in-game mechanics to exploit the game.

What is Quality or "Q"? The better the "Q/Quality" the better the materials you can make with them.

How Do I chop trees? You make an axe with stone and branches. Should be able to move your mouse over the different things you can do at the bottom-right and one will pop up saying "Craft". Then you get the skill, lumberjacking. Then look for the Tools button which should be fairly easy to spot. Then look for the stone axe and click it. There it'll tell you how to make an axe. I mentioned the supplies required above.

How do I get seeds? Generally you look for WWW's that in my opinion. They look like little feathers. You need generally at least 15 exploring to find them fairly commonly. You can pick them by right-clicking on them and clicking the only option provided to you by doing so. You can hang them on Drying Frames and/or herbalist tables. Herbalist Tables are generally better as it takes a LOT less time for them to dry and turn into seeds then. In fact in Herbalist tables it'll take hours as opposed to a Drying frame where it'll take I believe it was over a day long.

What seeds are implemented in the game already? Carrot, Tea, Hemp, Flax, Wheat, Tobacco, Onion, and PeaPods. I'm sure I forgot to mention at least a few. these are the one's that I could remember off the top of my head.

How do I get higher Q water/clay/sand? This is area-based. Certain areas have high Q's while others do not. Generally the more you use up a certain area the Q will lower but eventually go back up again if you wait long enough.

How do I farm? Well, this is simple. Make a plow. Plow a plot. Click the seed and drop it there. by left clicking the seed and right-clicking the plowed spot you want to plant the seed at. Depending on the seed it can take anywhere from 1-2 IRL days. Or something like that.

How do I make a mine? Prospecting skill and Rustroot Extract. I'll add more details to this later.

How do I protect my village?
-Make sure you build a solid village structure. What I mean by this is making sure you recruit the right types of villagers. Sometimes they have alterior motives while others simply might be dedicated to the point of getting on maybe one hour a week. Obviously that'll put major strain on your village.
-Build it in an Isolated area. This way Raiders whether they be actual players with true non-exploited combat skills or Macroers won't be able to find your base as easy. What I mean by an "Isolated area" is an area not anywhere near any sort of water. The further away you are from water, the better. Preferably a spot not being able to be seen from the boat they're in.
-Get your combat skills up. Although they're pointless when you're fighting macroers you will definitely benefit by getting them up. Combat Skills like INT/STR are very important as well as others depending on which combat skills you decide to use.
-Find mines or trade for valuable metals to get better equipment. This is a VERY important aspect to protecting your village. You can significantly boost the damage you do by the equips you wear. Not only that but you can protect yourself about 1000x better.
-Building palisade or a brick wall. Obviously surrounding your base with walls is one of the most effective ways to protect yourself against various raiders. Make sure also to LOCK your cornerposts. Otherwise people will grief you. See my definition of a griefer below.

Most Effective Ways to get LP
-Most people seem to agree that obtaining the "Pottery" skill is the best source for getting beginning LP as a total beginner.
-Bucket-making in my opinion is the 2nd best way to get LP for beginners or "nomads".

Feel free to add your own to help people out. I'll be slowly adding to this as time goes on & I have the spare minute to do so.
Last edited by ViciousGamer04 on Mon May 31, 2010 10:40 am, edited 15 times in total.
Already Suggested H&H Ideas can be found, here!
Basic "How Do I" questions on H&H can be found, here!
ViciousGamer04

Re: Basic "How Do I" of Haven&Hearth.

Postby burgingham » Fri May 28, 2010 12:30 am

Uhm that is the same shit as before...you think this is gonna last? Dude we are not trying to collectively mock you, but face it: Not only are most of your ideas bad, this guide is even worse. Look at jackards guide to see how it is done, even if it is only for the structure.

edit: Just one example that comes to mind. Why the fuck don't you post avus guide on how to defend towns when you mention that topic?
burgingham

Postby sabinati » Fri May 28, 2010 12:34 am

are you kidding me
sabinati

Postby ViciousGamer04 » Fri May 28, 2010 1:34 am

burgingham wrote:Uhm that is the same shit as before...you think this is gonna last? Dude we are not trying to collectively mock you, but face it: Not only are most of your ideas bad, this guide is even worse. Look at jackards guide to see how it is done, even if it is only for the structure.

edit: Just one example that comes to mind. Why the fuck don't you post avus guide on how to defend towns when you mention that topic?

The guide is a "work in progress". The idea is to help build upon it by player criticism and by doing so it'll also create an influx of new and old players suggesting further "how do I" ideas to help benefit the whole community.

Perhaps instead of complaining you could link me to the appropriate threads for further information on various questions. Especially the "defend towns" thread I keep hearing being mentioned. I haven't really sifted through guides on the forum of H&H yet as i'm more of a person that prefers to learn on my own as opposed to reading guides about the game so I am not aware of all the guides here on H&H.
ViciousGamer04

Postby Garlicman » Fri May 28, 2010 9:01 am

Well, this work in progress has a very long progress bar, i should say. It's highly incoherent.
Garlicman

Postby Wipfmetz » Fri May 28, 2010 9:50 am

This forum needs a [Ignore ViciousGamer-Threads]-Button, for god's sake.
Wipfmetz

Postby ViciousGamer04 » Mon May 31, 2010 10:37 am

burgingham wrote:Uhm that is the same shit as before...you think this is gonna last? Dude we are not trying to collectively mock you, but face it: Not only are most of your ideas bad, this guide is even worse. Look at jackards guide to see how it is done, even if it is only for the structure.

Most of my ideas have extremely benefited games in the past. I'm not sure why they wouldn't here. Too cool for school, perhaps.

Avu? He trolls a lot. I'm not sure any of his threads/posts would be of much benefit to the H&H community :lol:

Wipfmetz wrote:This forum needs a [Ignore ViciousGamer-Threads]-Button, for god's sake.

Haa. The forum needs an "ignore troll" button for you.

On a side note. I updated a tad bit. Still a lot of updating to do. Actual critique would be nice. Not just a bunch of trolls. :lol:

Garlicman wrote:Well, this work in progress has a very long progress bar, i should say. It's highly incoherent.

Keeping it simplistic as to base it off of most internet users reading levels makes it incoherent????
ViciousGamer04

Postby Darkren » Mon May 31, 2010 10:50 am

Wipfmetz wrote:This forum needs a [Ignore ViciousGamer-Threads]-Button, for god's sake.
Jackard wrote:moral of the story - the 'aesop', if you will -

all germans are evil
Darkren

Postby ViciousGamer04 » Mon May 31, 2010 10:54 am

Darkren wrote:

Haa. The forum needs an "ignore troll" button for you.
ViciousGamer04

Postby Gentley » Mon May 31, 2010 11:38 am

"Basic "How do I" Guide" <> mentioning Brick walls

Just Don`t.

Oh Jees, this is so BAD.

How to get seeds: "bla bla, better put them on a herbalist table, its soo much faster, allthough i have obviously no idea that you CANT BUILD THEM WITHOUT PLANTFIBRES, also, i have no IDEA HOW LONG DRYING TAKES ALLTHOUGH ITS LIKE MENTIONED IN EVERY SECOND THREAD HERE AND IN THE WIKI"
Gentley

Next

Return to Hel