Revisiting HnH after 10 years (recent video steam)

General discussion and socializing.

Revisiting HnH after 10 years (recent video steam)

Postby mvgulik » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:54 am

(thanks to in-game chat ... FOR LINK (Shubla!))

---
(seems it was already mentioned here)

--- --- ---

Nookrium gave it an other try at the start of world 13.

2 part playlist
Last edited by mvgulik on Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
mvgulik

Re: Revisiting HnH after 10 years (recent video steam)

Postby shubla » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:14 am

Didn't know that you have a youtube channel!!
Bit weird to be active on forums and have 10 year break though.

Anyway, he is quite uncivilized as he says that URW is some icelandic game, even though it is common knowledge that it is Finnish and based on Finnish things and in Finland overall!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Jalpha » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:45 am

I think this is what is commonly referred to as a comedy of errors. He starts in winter and then makes everything look very difficult. Honestly pretty painful to watch.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby mvgulik » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:20 am

> Honestly pretty painful to watch.
Kinda yea.
mvgulik

Postby Exerosp » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:15 am

Y'all can't appreciate quality entertainment. My best source of entertainment is seeing people struggle and do mistakes, and well, learn a game you enjoy. Is this how teachers feel like?
Exerosp

Postby shubla » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:40 pm

I think his experience is ruined by those who swarm around him and give him stuff like merch robes.
Best way to make somebody new quit this game is to just give him everything.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby vatas » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:26 pm

Copy pasted my reply from this thread, only small clarification with added ().

Not trying to be mean, but trying to "grab" the kuksa by it's crafting menu icon is pretty bad, can't say devs are at fault here.

Chat is trying to give advice but some like (shift+click to put all in stockpile) is missing crucial context (that seasoned haven player will, unconsciously, fallaciously assume it's obvious) and he fails to figure out you need to grab the the item and right-click correct stockpile while holding shift. Something could be done to explain these basic controls. Also, nobody is telling him to gather Tough Bark from Willows to make Cordage, this is something you're unlikely to figure out, likely assuming all non-birch trees have generic bark.

00.27.24 Now we hit a big one: he assumes spices are required, not optional, when roasting meat. This is perfectly reasonable assumption to make, there's very little to indicate they're optional (tiny gap between "any meat" and "spices") I'd definitely support any reasonable change that would make this more obvious.

00.37.30 I think this was mentioned basically immediately when people stated making guides for the new combat system in w8: lot of people try to click the icons for moves that appear, having no idea that you use them with number keys.

00.38.30 He noticed, read and understood the KO ping, which to my knowledge is lot more than you can say about several players who've complained about dying to animals or other players because they "kept waking up and getting knocked down"
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby Salad » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:35 pm

shubla wrote:I think his experience is ruined by those who swarm around him and give him stuff like merch robes.
Best way to make somebody new quit this game is to just give him everything.

Getting everything handed to you does ruin the early game progression, I remember last world when I was setting up my own town for a while a few people dropped by to give me their hand-me-downs, I appreciated it and all but it did sort of eliminate a large portion of my goals in terms of gear creation.

This problem only gets worse as the world gets older, I know people want to help, and they're being neighborly but I'd wait and see if people asked for help first, a lot of people just want to have their own journey, not be given everything on a silver platter.

In addition, starting in winter just sucks horrendously, recently did a walkabout seeing where I might want to set up a new base camp on the mainland and everything is just miserable to look at and there's barely any forage to work with. Not his fault though, winter as a season is just sort of dead air, there isn't a lot to do for new hearthlings other than to explore and freeze to death, you can't discover a ton of seeds for trees, but you could go discover different stones, study items are limited, you can't really make clothes, food is doable but it sucks. Winter just needs more for newbies. Maybe i'm missing stuff? Anyone want to chime in on the new player experience in the dead of winter?
Salad

Postby vatas » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:02 pm

I could probably write a better post, but in many ways it's probably better to make a Barter Stand that sells decent quality metal tools for like 10 Bone Glue each and advertise it locally in some way. Bone Glue can be easily or at least practically grinded by even the Spruciest of Caps and it will always have some use, regardless of quality.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby mvgulik » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:41 pm

Nookrium gave it an other try at the start of world 13.

2 part playlist.
mvgulik

Next

Return to The Inn of Brodgar