Are devs happy/okay/satisfied with the player numbers?

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Are devs happy/okay/satisfied with the player numbers?

Postby shubla » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:42 pm

Normal people will still have no chance against botters (or nolifer tryhards) even if some things are eased a bit.
Botting benefits you on all aspects of the game, not only farming, but on crafting curios too. Making food, butchering animals, hunting animals, etc. possibilities are endless as the game is so easily bottable and there are so many things to do to stay relevant.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby donatas081294 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:59 pm

Do you think if for example hafen was or had a single player server (but still could chat with the people online in the chat box like in League of Maidens) and also had a lobby server where player could invite any number of players.
Would it do a lot better with the player numbers as player could either play solo with the huge map and show off their creations like in Minecraft for example or play with their friends without any interruptions.

Or I know it might be too much to ask and it's okay if you charge for it (devs have to make money somehow to keep the game alive) have multiple choice serves (like in dead frontier 2) either play normal (mmo), play in a lobby (invite people to play with) and play solo (have the whole world to yourself) Sure also would be nice if player was able to switch between the serves mid game (like if they get bored and wanted to show of their creation they could turn the solo server into a lobby server, by inviting people and yes I am aware that the 2 can't mix with the mmo server). While showing the total player number across all servers. Do you think this might help or would it be pointless expensive effort for devs?
donatas081294

Postby Nightdawg » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:06 pm

donatas081294 wrote:Do you think if for example hafen was or had a single player server

Nightdawg wrote:Wouldn't those of you who are no longer playing atm still play whenever jorb resets the main world?
I'm not playing right now, but I would play on a single player version every now and then, stop playing it when jorb resets the world, then after 4 months, whenever the end game content either snowballs the best faction way too above me to do anything about it, the world is won by somebody or I simply give up cause I suck at pvp, I'd go back to the single player thing, and still pay a subscription even if just for that single player thing.

I guess the only people getting split from the playerbase would be the newbies that are just trying now the game for the first time, and the people who couldn't care less about player interaction. I'm pretty sure 50% of new players quit this game cause it has a steep learning curve and, if you make big mistakes, haha fuck you: your base/character gets deleted.

I mean I assume the playerbase would be severely split only if the *main* server/world would split into multiple ones, not if some people would host single player worlds for themselves or small servers with some people.
It doesn't even have to be the latest release, you could give older builds or something, for single player. :lol:

^This is how I used to think 1 year ago, a reply from this topic.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby jordancoles » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:31 pm

IMO

-animals should have set qualities that they max out at (bears/anglers at 200, moose 150-200, boars 60, badgers 40, fox 30, bats 10, Lynx 100-150, whales 300, trolls 250-300)

-village idol porting should make a come-back for trade, or a communal/safe "Boston" should be added with a marketboard. Anyone can port there at any time, like how it was in Salem (only without limitations on stalls other than maybe some sort of lp up-keep to put up listings).

-remove speed variance based on quality for large ships like knars and snekkjas and normalize the speeds

-simplify foods (chives should ALWAYS give agility modifier, oyster mushrooms ALWAYS give con, etc) by making their outcomes way, way more predictable and standardized (we should not need a whole 3rd party website to make food)

-Damage output should cap off harder based on your weapon quality or move type (knock its teeth out comes to mind) rather than letting str increase your dmg to the moon (so that having 10k str doesn't blow everyone else out of the water with low opening cleaves or quick barrages). Insanely high str would still be helpful with mining/destroying things/lifting things, but it wouldn't just be overkill in pvp (hopefully)

-remove pepper

-pay boshaw to make you a decent default client

Thx
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby pawnchito » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:23 pm

I mean I'm a pretty big fan of the game, this last patch broke the client I use. I'd rather not play than have to use the regular client. How would we expect newbs to stick around when people already hooked on the game would rather wash dishes than play vanilla. Not as an offense but as a constructive criticism.
pawnchito

Postby vatas » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:34 pm

The way village idol trading could work was if it was, for example, tied to separate resource that Idol generates when it's above certain Authority percentage.

Gave it a thought and Range probably shouldn't affect anything, thought of capping it to twice of the minimum cost but even this could presumably be used to locate people you trade with.

To remove any hijinks from the old method of making someone who might be a complete stranger to your village, I suggest some kind of thing tied to Idol where both villages place containers, and only those swap places when trade is performed.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby shubla » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:24 pm

-village idol porting should make a come-back for trade, or a communal/safe "Boston" should be added with a marketboard. Anyone can port there at any time, like how it was in Salem (only without limitations on stalls other than maybe some sort of lp up-keep to put up listings).

Boston sucks no pls, its idol teleportation or nothing.

-remove speed variance based on quality for large ships like knars and snekkjas and normalize the speeds

Yes definitely, only reason for speed variance by quality is to make noob killing easier because the botting nolifers will always have better boat than u. Maybe quality could affect something else such as repair frequency or item capacity, to still have incentive to build high quality ships.

-simplify foods (chives should ALWAYS give agility modifier, oyster mushrooms ALWAYS give con, etc) by making their outcomes way, way more predictable and standardized (we should not need a whole 3rd party website to make food)

Having many foods is great, but I agree that having the effects seemingly random forcing people to make databases with tens, hundreds of thousands of different combinations is pretty retarded. Though is it so bad after all? I'm not sure.

-pay boshaw to make you a decent default client

I don't think that the reason has ever been time or ability, but the fact that devs don't want certain features into the default client. Many custom clients even contain a load of god knows what crap features (from screenshots that I've received) which most people absolutely do not want to clutter their client option menus and such.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
shubla

Postby Kaios » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:27 pm

jorb wrote:I am concerned that recurring resets is an addiction that we're feeding which prevents any longer term commitments to the game.

Maybe, but I'm not sure that is really a major issue to be concerned about. I'd be more inclined to agree with others that mentioned the lack of long-term or end-game goals being one of the larger contributors towards a lack of interest later in a world. Plus in addition to that the longer a world goes on, the more difficult it becomes to entice new players to join it considering the significant amount of time it would take to catch up. During that time those players you're attempting to catch up to are still grinding themselves (and with better production systems and quality) making it near impossible.

As Potjeh always used to say; Infinite progression, open PvP, permadeath. Pick two.

shubla wrote:
Just look at what removing village idol teleporting did to trading

I think its quite naive to look at W5 trading and W13 trading and come to a conclusion that reason for less trading is village idols missing, while literally everything in the game has also been changed during that interval :oops:

As surprising as it may be, I have to agree with you here. I know I've said it often but I will say it again, look at the impact that Tokens had on trading after their introduction. If anything has made trading worse, it's the injection of a real money trading system directly in to the game itself that has in my opinion impacted trading most of all.
Kaios

Postby shubla » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:23 pm

Kaios wrote:As surprising as it may be, I have to agree with you here. I know I've said it often but I will say it again, look at the impact that Tokens had on trading after their introduction. If anything has made trading worse, it's the injection of a real money trading system directly in to the game itself that has in my opinion impacted trading most of all.

Yeah tokens should be changed so that you can only give the game time to somebody else, so its immediately used. Not the token itself.
Could be that the current system gives some income for the devs, but I hope they realize how big impact it may have to trading and thus the game playerbase as a whole.
shubla

Postby pawnchito » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:15 pm

I like the tokens because it hopefully reduces the "black market" and real money transactions. I think the devs should get a bigger cut from that economy.
pawnchito

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar